Saturday, April 5, 2008

Strangers make Better Friends !!

This is a blog I am writing after getting in an interesting situation where I went through this experience I am jotting down.

Why we always look for stability ? Be it an affair, a friendship or any other relation. But actually, at one point in time, we become so saturated that it makes us feel claustrophobic. People around us are so close, that we start fearing them ! No matter how hard we try to hide, but we cant resist telling about ourselves and later fear them.

I usually have this problem with me. When I have a fracas or minutest of argument with my friends, I'll need to tell it to someone to make myself at ease. And generally, I find people within my group itself. So, after telling, I'll fear if he/she should not go and open their mouth in front of the concerned person or related to him/her. I went through this situation as recently as two days back.

I was talking this very close and old friend. A guy I trust on all cost, but still while having our tittle-tattle (of relevance of not even a penny ) with him, I continued saying, "Don't say it to anyone." This is how it goes. Even though we show trust, we don't trust. Also, a close friend knows our in and out so well that he starts assisting us. When a help is needed, an advice is received which adds to the inferno.

Lately, I discovered that we can feel better talking and sharing to strangers. I will corroborate my given statement with certain points:
  • When we feel like talking to them, they'll be there and won't if we don't want.And even if they cant,we wont feel bad because we don't expect any higher.
  • They are better listeners.
  • We don't share much of sentiments and emotions with them, so don't feel bad if we lose touch in the long course of time.
  • They don't interfere in your life unless you involve them.
  • They will help us in their best possible way on the ground of formality mixed with curtsy.
  • They never take us for granted and hence we cannot lose importance in their eyes ( 'life' will be little hypothetical ! )
  • And, most importantly, they will help or advice the way we expect rather than showing us a very unbiased and practical approach.
  • Also, we can keep ourselves open to our own range of comfortability and convenience.
Thus, keep making friends and enjoy being mysterious. It is good to express yourselves to good listeners but it becomes dangerous if someone knows more about you than needed.

On the contrary, as in all commercial offers, we see "Conditions Apply", so does here. Hence be selective while choosing a stranger friend too. I would also suggest, make as many friends but always keep few good friends. No stranger can rescue you having scanty knowledge about you. It is this time when close friends will be there even if you don't ask for their help!

2 comments:

Kartick Sitaraman said...

Dear Madhuri,

While I subscribe to most of your thoughts, this is one that I specifically disagree upon.

"And, most importantly, they will help or advice the way we expect rather than showing us a very unbiased and practical approach."

Madhuri said...

Hey Kartick,

Thanks for writing this comment on my request !

I hope others will be inspired to find some reasons to argue or comment upon this statement.